Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2020

The Unfortunate and Fortunate in the Rain - 雨中刼幸


This was inspired by my jog after the rains had stopped.  However, in the middle of my jog, the drizzle returned.  The inspiring line was 不見行人雨路浥.At first, the theme was that it is just a quiet tranquil road on which I imagined to be in.  However, I think I had a previous poem about a similar situation and so I didn’t want to repeat.  Then I came up with an idea about walking in the city where the coiffured and the manicured were aghast at the coming rain to ruin their makeup, their clothes etc.  Only I, am able to appreciate the respite of quietude in the hustle and bustle of a city that gives me no peace.

閑步微滴何須急 Strolling leisurely, why should the lazy drip-a-drip droplets and I be in hurriedness?
胭脂粉黛莊容失 Only those prim and proper, in effete and coiffured makeups had turned pale.
隔世塵音相喜逢 Freed from the hustle and bustle of this vulgar world, twain met in joy,
不見行人雨路浥 No more vulgarities on this wet rainy street…

The “two” here refers to the rain and the poet. The rain is glad to meet someone who appreciates its beauty and the poet is glad to be freed from the worldliness. In this world of multitudes, one will finally meet someone who fulfills the simple requirements of your love. “Vulgarity” here is the old original meaning of “common”.

Sunday, February 09, 2020


No comments: