Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2023

A Spring Night Affair

 


Before my jog, I was doodling with the brush and a line came into my mind. Later I decided to make this into the last line of the stanza. Completed this before my jog.

During my jog, refined the poem to the point that I thought the language was more elegant way in expressing.

1 春宵銀光月下晚
Late is the spring night under the silvery glow of the moon,
2 舊曲隱約指空彈 An old melody wafting in and out as I plucked my fingers in the air.
3 添酒加杯敬請降 New wine added to another cup - an earnest respect to invite her descent,
4 微笑普照醉人間 Smiling faintly to shine over an inebriated mortal world.

1 晚 means late rather than night since 宵 is already used.

2 The poet must be getting drunk as he tried to remember the old tune by trying to play an imaginary zither in the air. Wind instruments are blown - 吹, percussions are beaten/attacked, e.g. 擊 and of course, string instruments are plucked or strummed.

4 Figuratively, the moon had consented to the poet’s invitation to come down as beams to have a drinking bout with him. This line could also mean that it is inebriating to see the moon “smile”.

Sunday, March 19, 2023

No comments: