Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Grand Scheme of Things - 大道志


For this one, I have to thank Patrick Hulsman for posting this photo... The original first inspired line was 小橋莫識大道志.


小橋愚惷大道志, Clueless is the tiny bridge about the way of the great road1,
惟解穿越白灘止. Connecting to the white sandy beach is all it knows.
借問緣何此離索, And if I may ask, “Why such desolation?”,
凡胎見識凡眼視. Mere mortals see what is only sublunary.

浮雲滄海顯明來, For you -- only floating clouds and the ocean cometh,
飛天龍王隱若至. But half-hidden herald of Apsaras2 and Dragon Kings for me.
有緣同樂仙家逢, Destined that I enjoy the fairyness met,
蘆葦普渡恐我意. ‘tis not my intention to enlighten the common masses3.

1. A pun. 大道 can also mean "Great Principle/Truth"
2. Literally, "flying to heaven"
3. Literally, "common reeds"


No comments: