Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Memories Of Once Upon A Time



It was the last day before leaving Fleur de Chine by the Sun Moon Lake.Photo of the early hours of the lake which inspired this poem. The first time I was here was 45 years ago in 1978. I was 23 then…

1 輕紗朝陽日月潭
The morning sun lightly veiled over the Sun Moon Lake,
2 愁雲醉鎖碧嶺難 Difficult for melancholy clouds to douse green mountains into stupor.
3 昨夜春宵曾經夢 Last night was like a former dream of youth,
4 萍水重聚何刻還 A world of floating duckweeds, wouldst reunion be of once more?

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Moon_Lake

2 Despite the morning mists, the far away mountain ranges are still visible. They represent past memories that Time tries to fog up.

3
Last night – my past; spring - my youth and dreams – existence of intangibility in the mind

4 The hither and thither of duckweeds floating on water represents the uncertainty of the world. In other words, when will I be back at the Sun Moon Lake again.  I know I won't be back but Fate has a different way to change one's resolve.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023



No comments: