Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

A Language Thought Experiment.





While lying in bed and unable to sleep… Wrote a Chinese poem using English as the basic language of thinking.

I can only write what I know.
What I know is like the miniscule light of fireflies by a summer’s bog.
How can they be compared to the bright grandeur of an autumn’s full moon?
In my own little way, a mere glimpse of fairyness in this world of mortals.


Same idea but using Chinese this time… Subtle differences emerge in the thought process.

書作之為我所識 I write what I know,
如夏夜畔螢火微 Like summer’s night mere glow of fireflies by the banks.
焉敢攀比中秋月 Dare I compared myself to the mid-autumn moon?
道淺仙氣染紅塵 In tainting the mortal realm with my paltry ascetic knowledge of the Way.

Wednesday, August 23, 2023


No comments: