Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

One Quiet Night



This line, 半邊明月凌空照 was written in the early half of the year but I did not have any inspiration to continue until now.  After many changes and refinements...

1 半邊明月凌空笑
Half bright is the moon smiling as it soars into the sky,
2 影斜無聲渡小橋 And slanting shadows cross the little bridge in silence.
3 欲向荷眠輕步前 In gingerly steps towards slumbering lotuses,
4 又恐風生珠葉搖 Yet dreading that fresh breezes may shudder the dew laden leaves.

1 The half-moon phase or that the full moon is partially hidden by the clouds.

2 Whether the shadows are from buildings, trees, or a person, we do not know.

3 Lotus blossoms close up at night and opens in the day, like sleeping. The night is long as shadows moved so slowly towards the sleeping flowers.

4 Here we know of the reason. “Fresh” here means “new”. 

Friday, Jul 21, 2023 

UPDATE

I must have improved for someone by the name of AC Tang, a member on Facebook's Chinese Poetry Group, commented on the poem, 

 I love the scene and atmosphere that this poem has created in my mind.May I have your permission to share a "re-creation" from the scene?

It was an honor to received such a comment.  I am glad that for once that my poem had  become an inspiration for another.  This is what he wrote, 

弯弯明月半空姣
one curved bright moon half sky beauty
清影悠悠过小橋 clear shadow leisurely cross small bridge
欲向睡莲輕举步 about toward sleeping lily gentle raise step
又怜風起露珠摇 yet worry wind rise dew drop swing

Jeff shared a 七绝 which describes a beautiful moon lit night, a poet walking quietly crossing a little bridge, wanting to get closer to look at the water lilies but dreading to disturb the peace. I just love the simplicity and straight forwardness of this scene and sentiment, I wrote a 七绝 as a sing-along to Jef’s work. It is about the same scene but viewed by a different individual. My moon has a delicate beauty contrasting with Jef’s moon more of strength and power; my poet is more like a leisurely aimless shadow while Jef’s poet seems more in a quiet contemplation. Both poets shared the loving and tender sentiment towards the beauty of the moments when mankind is with nature. Here is my sing-along with its English translation.

Suspending beautifully in the sky was the curved half moon
Leisurely traversing was my clear shadow over a little bridge
Just when I was about to step close to the sleeping lily
I held back for I worry that the dewdrops might swing in my breaths

This comparison shows many facets of subtlety about the differences between us.  From his English, one can clearly tell that it is not his first language while his Chinese poem is more colloquial and fluid in how his modern colloquialism flow so seamlessly and effortlessly into a classical format. As for me, how my Chinese way of expressing carries hints of English style and more arcane words and usage embedded.  

I did not notice that my moon has strength and power through using half moon in smiles as it rose mightily - 凌空.  His is gossamer-like though the use of a curvy crescent moon like a lady.  Most probably the use of 凌空 is due to watching the historic drama of Empress Wu, the rise of the only female emperor in Chinese history, , "The Moon Also Rises With The Sun".  These four characters form a pun for the character 曌, a title she created to call herself. Also perhaps it is because of my nature that strong willed women appeals to me. I loathe the meek and weak ones like the Plum Concubine, 梅妃. Instead of fighting back, she accepted her fate when she wrote a poem to reject the emperor's gift of pearls for her...

柳葉雙眉久不描, Her willow shaped brows had not been touched up for a long time now,
殘妝和淚汚紅綃. Tears from her remnant makeup had sullied her thin red silk.
長門自是無梳洗, No need to be made pretty when one lives in the Long Gate,
何必珍珠慰寂寥. So, why the need to have pearls to console my loneliness.

https://www.historyofroyalwomen.com/china/imperial-consort-mei-the-sorrowful-poems-from-the-consort-who-loved-plum-blossoms/

It's good to have such exchanges as it makes one to know oneself better.


No comments: