Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2021

Inspired Themes

 
These three poems were inspired from the works of others.  My brain was running out of ideas and I needed to keep my mental exercises up.

The poem that started it was a question posted in the Chinese Poetry Group in Facebook but I do not see the question and I assume that Sophina Kuan was asking for pointers.

細雨春風飄心間 Tender rain and spring mirth waft my heart,
問君可曾動心弦 Hath thou tenderness ever felt?
若君不負相思意 Love when not spurned
一股暖流涌心田 Like gushs warms the heart


David Fang’s:                        
Sii Ming Yiu’s

雨春風二月天,                  細雨春風二月天,
幾番遙望動心弦。              
問君可曾動心弦.
惟期不負相思意,              
而今不負相思意,
倩影今宵入我眠                  
一股清流暖福田


My version:

細雨春風杏花蔭 Gentle rain in spring and under the canopy of apricot blossoms,
有誰何曾不動心 Hast no heart a fluttered [by this romantic scene ]?
若君莫負妾思意 And if milord reject not the thoughts of this maid's
與同天樂情海深 Togetherness in heavenly delights and a love deep as the ocean.

Wednesday, June 23, 2021


Then from this original, I created another one that is not so salacious.

1 二月風和不見霜 No frost in the warm breeze of the second month,
2 十里懷情杏花翔 Lingering thoughts of swaying apricot blossoms for ten miles.
3 赴京上考折桂枝 To the capital for the imperial exams, the number one scholar I need be,
4 徘徊誤時豈敢嘗 Dare I putter and waddle in enjoyment and miss my exam date!

1 Must be an unusually warm month, for there are times, remnants of winter can still be around.

2 Literally, “For ten miles, apricot blossoms are flying”. The swaying on the branches makes them look like they are in flight.

3 The imperial exams are the final hurdle a candidate must overcome to see if they are successful or not. Only the top three will get the top official posts. These exams take place every three years and there is no limit how times a candidate can take. To break the Osmanthus bough means becoming the number one scholar, 壯元. Passing the examinations is the only way one can escape from the social order that one was born into.

4. Literally, “pacing back and forth, and time may be missed. How can I dare take a taste?” On a deeper level of understanding, this poem is not about enjoying the scenery but to refrain from partaking the various temptations encountered on the way!

Thursday, June 24, 2021





No comments: