Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Wonderful Midnight Encounters - 半夜奇遇



These three poems were the result of wakening up in the middle of the night for one reason or another and that my mind was too overactive to go back to sleep. Might as well do something useful...

1 一盤金菊重陽香 A pot of golden chrysanthemums fills the Double Ninth Festival with fragrance,
2龍鳳合杯再難嘗 No more that I had enjoyed the cups of the dragon and phoenix exchanged.
3 多年如此經已慣 So many years that I had grown accustomed to it,
4 默對銀鏡寂寞常 Silently I faced the silver mirror in loneliness all the time.

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Ninth_Festival
2 These cups for the bride and groom to exchange their wine to show conjugal bliss.
4. Literally can be the mirror or referring to the full moon.



1 冰雪寒山雲烟鎖 Shrouded in mists and fog is a cold mountain of ice and snow,
2 進退任選難以過 Forging ahead or retreating is no option.
3 隱約禪鐘迷津脱 When faint temple bell sounds came wafting in guidance,
4 驚破餘生紅塵錯 A sudden realization, shattering the wrongs in one’s remaining life.


3 A Buddhist temple, more specifically, the Chan/Zen sect.
4 Red dust – the mortal world.

Monday, May 10, 2021


1 微風水滴夢驚醒 Sounds of water dripping in the breeze woke me from my dreams,
2 邊枕寒冷早夜情 An earlier encounter of the night but now the pillow’s side is left in the cold.
3 雨後遍靜聽心韻 The rain has stopped, silence permeating except for my beating heart,
4 忐忐忑忑待月明 Pitter-pattering away as I wait for the moon to be full once more.

4 Literally, “waiting for the moon to turn bright again”

Monday, May 10, 2021

No comments: