Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2020

An Accolation

This was inspired by a friend’s pipa playing on my deck amongst the bamboos. In her green flowing clothing, she played a few songs that appeared in the order of the poem…

1 竹林琵琶翠衣仙 By the bamboo forest is a fairy clothed in green,
2 十面埋伏一曲綫 “Ambushed on All Sides” is but a melody of strings.
3 霸王別姬心揞淚 In “Farewell To My Concubine”, my heart suppresses my tears,
4 天樂難得在眼前 Such rare heavenly music before me.

5 陽春白雪日麗和 What a wonderful day in “White Snow Reflected in Springtime Sunlight” is,
6 昭君出塞落雁纒 The descending goose in “To the Fortress, the Lady Bids Adieu” tangles in my mind.
7 籟靜春江花月夜 Silent sounds from “Spring River Flower Moon Night”, I doth hear,
8 纖指弄巧千萬變 Skillful slender fingers in endless variations.

2 An extremely difficult pipa solo that tells the story of the last battle before the founding of the Han Dynasty. Literally “Ambushed on Ten Sides” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMEaj7kkDA3 The final part describes the concubine killing herself after her sword dance so that her Lord, Xiang Yu would not lose his concentration in battle while thinking of her.


8 I lifted this from 鵲橋仙’s 纖雲弄巧

Friday, June 26, 2020


No comments: